Kindergarten was introduced with the class of 1960 in school year 1947/48 at the Ala Wai Campus.
Beginning in 1917, school colors were blue and white. This changed to red, black, and white when we joined the Interscholastic League in 1935.
The Lower School opened at Ala Wai Campus in November 1946.
'Iolani School traces it's beginnings to 1863; but, there were no graduating classes before 1917.
The Archives has school newspapers as far back as the 1920s, but no issues from the 1930s.
'Iolani became coeducational in the 1979-80 school year.
The keys in school seal are a stylized version of St. Peter's Keys.
An Episcopal school from its founding, 'Iolani became an independent school in 1942.
'Iolani School had boarders through the 1959/60 school year.
In former years, teachers were shipped to Oahu on Matson liners.
The Class of 1953 was the last to graduate from Nuuanu Campus.
The Archives' collection of the 'Iolani School Bulletin begins in April 1960.
The school's Archives program was started in the late 1970s by a school librarian.
The trivia appearing on this page were taken from various sources in the 'Iolani School Archives. For more information, schedule an appointment to conduct your research. Please note the Archives' open hours on the Welcome tab of this guide.
© The researcher assumes all responsibility for complying with libel, privacy, and copyright laws.