Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Steps by the National Archives
Teaching with Primary Sources
*Also see the Teaching and Primary Sources box in the Links tab of this guide.
Activity: Building Community & Place-based Learning
As you continue your lessons related to building community for our youngest members, please consider this activity as a means of integrating primary source materials and place-based learning. It introduces students to a primary source photograph while promoting teamwork and observation.
The following is primarily intended to compliment your existing teaching units.
Grade: K-1; can be modified for other grades.
Location: Classroom (Archives visit not needed). Adaptable for Distance Learning.
- Sheet protectors a.k.a. document sleeves
- dry-erase markers, 1 for each student, half red and half green
- photograph copies, half the number of students
- Select photograph(s) from below. Recommendation: do not exceed 3 images.
- Make enough copies for half the number of student in the class (1 for every 2 students)
- Place photograph copies inside sheet protectors
- Divide the students into pairs (groups of 2).
- Give pairs a photograph copy that has already been inserted into a sheet protector.
- Give each pair a red and a green dry-erase marker.
- Explain to the students that they will be working with their partner to find similarities and differences in the students and classrooms in the photograph as compared to their own. In each pair, the student with the green marker will circle the things that are the same; the student with the red marker will circle the things that are different.
- Allow time for the students to work as a pair.
- Call attention back as a group
- Display/Project the photograph in front of the class and invite each pair to share something they found with the whole class.
- OBSERVE - I see ___
- REFLECT - I think ___
- QUESTION - I wonder ___
- If more than one photograph was used, repeat for each image.
Recommendation: do not exceed 3 images.
Photographs from the 'Iolani School Archives:
Ala Wai Campus (current campus) - Photographs of kindergarten boys and girls in school year 1985/86.
Nu'uanu Campus: Boys in classrooms at a previous campus of 'Iolani School.
(Click to enlarge.)
(Click to enlarge.)